Saturday, May 7, 2011

otb

I know that there are some handicappers who are going to disagree with this, but I believe that handicapping horse races for off track betting (OTB's) is different than handicapping horse races you will play at the race track. Of course many of the same rules or procedures do apply, but there are some marked differences, as far as I am concerned.

When I know I will be able to see the horses up close and evaluate them by their looks, I am more likely to take a chance and keep my options open. I handicap "tighter" when I am betting on a simulcast race. My background as a horseman has taught me that there are horses that may or may not be fit and ready, depending upon what has happened to them over the last few days or weeks and that information isn't in the past performances.

Here is one good for instance, let's say a trainer that you are unfamiliar with has claimed a horse and it is going out for its first race for that trainer. I realize that there usually are statistics available to tell you how that trainer has fared in the past in that situation, but I still like to know what the horse looks like. Just because that trainer won with first timers in his or her barn before, doesn't mean he or she is about to strike gold with this one. Horses, like people, are individuals. This particular horse may not have responded well to this trainer.

Or, just to play devil's advocate for a while, let's say that this particular trainer hasn't shown a good win rate with first timers. Maybe this horse is the exception to the rule. If I get to see the horse and see a well muscled horse that isn't "tucked up" (shows signs of not eating well probably due to the stress of training or racing) and who appears to be in good health, then maybe it is still worth a bet if the odds are right and the competition is suspect.

Another consideration is that if I am at the track I get to see the track and judge for myself what shape it is in. I also get to look the jockeys over to determine which ones look like they are confident and are having a good day. If I know that a particular owner is at the track then that might mean the trainer has told the jockey to go for the win and feels the horse has a good chance. Let's face it, if you are an owner and the trainer has told you that your horse has a good chance of winning, then you will probably want to get your trip to the winners circle and show up for the races that day.

Those are a few reasons why I play the races differently when I am at the track as opposed to being at an OTB.

The most consistent horse racing systems have to have the basics and a handicapper must understand the basics. I have been around horse racing for 50 years including as an owner. Without the basics the rest is not going to do any good. If you want to learn how a horse owner and insider handicaps just go to True handicapping and get the truth.

Bill Peterson is a former horse race owner and professional handicapper. He comes from a horse race handicapping family and as he puts it, "Horse Racing is in my blood." To see all Bill's horse racing material go to Bill's handicapping store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...